Monday, March 19, 2012

Apartment 138

So, this is my first restaurant review since starting my blog, but hardly the first time I've thought in depth about where and what I eat.  Friends of mine can attest to the fact that I can analyze the hell out of a dish, but even if I don't think its absolutely AMAZING, I try not to let it bring down the whole experience of eating out.  After working as a private chef, in a busy cafe, and interning in a tiny and busy kitchen, I never take eating out lightly; I appreciate the front-of-house and kitchen staff so much.

Saying that, its time to get on with the review.

This past Wednesday night, my mom was in town and I dragged her along with me to a book signing for Guts by Kristen Johnston, someone I've been a fan of ever since my geeky little self first saw 3rd Rock From The Sun.  After hearing her read from the book (describing her literally gut-wrenching addiction), my mom and I worked up an appetite.

My good friend Jen lives in the neighborhood recommended Apartment 138 (138 Smith Street, Brooklyn).

When we walked in, my first thought was that the space seemed like so many other Brooklyn bar/restaurants with the exposed brick, interesting light bulbs, and rustic menu font.  Apparently, they also have a back patio and a game room, neither of which I saw, but probably add a lot to the experience.
Since I love vegetables, especially those in the cruciferous family, we shared the Roasted Cauliflower with almond gremolata, raisins, and a brown butter vinaigrette.  I don't think I've ever been so disappointed with roasted cauliflower.  The gremolata, raisins, and vinaigrette were excellent, along with the aged cheese grated on top, but the actual cauliflower was underdone, under salted, and hardly had any caramelization on it.  The florets were also so large that I had to cut them just to fit them into my mouth.  Since they were so big, the yummy bits just fell to the bottom of the dish, instead of clinging to the cauliflower.  This dish could be saved by cutting the florets into smaller pieces, adding more salt, and ACTUALLY roasting it.  Not a total failure, but could be made so much better with a few tweaks.

For our mains, my mom got the Hangar Steak special over an italian bread salad with what looked like wilted romaine, and she absolutely adored it.  I love cooking salad greens, especially romaine, because its not something you see everyday.

I had the Day Boat Hake over warm beet, tangerine, and edamame salad with poppy seed vinaigrette.  The fish was fresh, the beets were perfectly cooked, and the tangerines had a yummy sweetness to them.  I would have preferred a little more acid/vinegar/citrus juice in the vinaigrette, but I think that is more my personal preference; I like my salad dressings pretty assertive.

We passed on dessert, but only because we were both pleasantly full.

Overall, I'd give it a three out of five.

Anyone else ever been to Apartment 138? How is their game room?

No comments:

Post a Comment