Thursday, August 12, 2010

Chilled Avocado Soup

This is one of my favorite summer recipes.  From Peter Berley's Fresh Food Fast.   He suggests serving with homemade tortilla crisps and sour cream, but I prefer to keep this soup smooth and I'm a little big lactose-intolerant, so I leave them out.  Of course, feel free to use them, or even substitute tofu sour cream.


Chilled Avocado Soup with Lime and Jalapeño

4 servings

3 limes (I've also made this with lemons-delicious!)
3 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/2 small jalapeño pepper, with seeds, chopped (I leave this out if its too hot out)
1 teaspoon course sea salt or kosher salt, plus additional to taste
2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1. Squeeze the juice from 2 1/2 of the limes and cut the remaining half into 4 wedges for garnish.

2. In a blender, combine 3 cups of ice water (a mixture of water and ice) with the lime juice, avocados, garlic, jalepeño, and the salt and blend until smooth.  Chill the soup until ready to serve.

I don't have a blender, but I do have an immersion blender, which I use to make this and just about everything else (soups, salad dressings, smoothies, ice cream base.)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, this sounds great. I have all of these things in the house right now -- I'm totally making this for lunch tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete