Saturday, May 10, 2014

Brownies. The Evolution.

When the mood strikes me to bake brownies are my go-to.  I almost always have all the ingredients on hand and I LOVE chocolate.  I've been gluten-free for almost two years, and now I'm venturing into the world of the Paleo diet.  Last night, while I was enjoying an empty apartment and kitchen (both of my roommates were at weddings out of town), I had the desire for brownies.  I hadn't yet attempted a grain-free version, but I found a recipe that used ingredients I already had, so I went for it.  I made a few substitutions to this recipe to suit me and they came out fudgy, moist, and just a touch chewy.  A perfect snack for a cozy night in.

Gluten and Grain Free Brownie
makes 8 large or 12 small

Ingredients:

3/4 c almond meal
3 T cocoa powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt (this is more than the usual amount, but I like my chocolate salty)

3 eggs
1/4 melted and cooled butter, ghee, or coconut oil
1 t vanilla extract
1/3 c maple syrup
1/4 c Enjoy Life chocolate chips (gluten, dairy, and soy free)
1/4 c shredded unsweetened dried coconut
2 T cocoa nibs

Procedure:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease an 8'x8' brownie or baking pan.

In a large bowl, combine the almond meal, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.  Use a whisk to thoroughly mix.

In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs butter, ghee, or coconut oil, vanilla extract, and maple syrup.

Fold the wet ingredients into the dry using a rubber spatula.  Fold in the chocolate chips, coconut, and nibs.  Pour into the prepared baking pan.

Bake for 30-35 minutes and until the center is set.  Let cool before slicing.


No comments:

Post a Comment